Also available in these formats:
Facets have a similar concept to filters.
The main difference is that facets can be described as a collection of filters, one for each different aspect of content. It lets the customer filter items on a category page based on specific item properties or options. This helps the shopper narrow down the search to very specific products that may be of interest. Facets are very useful as they greatly reduce search time and this document has been designed to show every step of the process of configuring Facets on a store’s admin pages.
Facets rely on item properties and item options. Thereby, Item properties and Item options should be defined prior to managing facets.
Creating Item Properties #
A newly created property or any existing property can be added to an item through the Product Properties page.
Under Catalog | Items, select any item from the list and then click on the Properties tab to access the Product Properties page. For a detailed step by step on how to attach properties to items, please refer to the Manage Products under the Catalog tab.
Setting up Variations #
Variations, often referred to as Attributes are a special kind of item properties. They are most useful when defining parent- child item relationships.
Suppose the product being sold is T-shirts on the store. They could be available in various colors and sizes. In this case, create 2 product options (Color and Size) and then create Parent and Child items and link them appropriately. This way, the shopper has the option to select different colors / sizes and the right child item would be displayed on the store. For a detailed step by step on how to create item options and attach them to items, please refer to the Variations section under the Catalog tab.
When using variations as Facets, the ability to filter out all the parent / child items on the category page based on specific variation is possible.
Manage Facets #
- Click Catalog.
- Click Manage Facet Manager
- Select the category page to which Facet is implemented on from the drop-down list. Once a category is selected, click in the ‘+’ button and a list of all available properties will be displayed on the right column.
- Click in the required properties from the right column to create the facet. Facets will be displayed on the store in the order they were added to the Facets column.
- Click save button to save changes.
- Go to Advanced | Solr Items and on the Solr Preferences page and click the Rebuild button to do a Solr rebuild.
- Go to the category page on the store for which facets were set up to test the functionality. Marking any checkbox will filter down the results to items matching the selected property. Keep in mind that many properties can be selected.