The manual shows the additional logging that takes place on the audit table so as to track various user activities. Separate exercise sections have been included to demonstrate how the logs get generated for each action.
Audit Logs #
The Audit Logs feature has been designed to keep track of user activity on the store. All the audit logs for a particular store can be found on the audit table. It allows the user to view the logs from the system admin control page by clicking on the View Audit Log button under Action for each store.
The audit log for a store contains several user activity details such as template changes, inventory updates, customer logins, settings changes, import / export details and a lot more and also give detailed information on the user such as user name, user type, IP address logged in from, date and time the action was performed.
The audit log feature has been further improved to include logging for additional actions that involves tracking the following user activities:
- Any changes, additions or deletions of prices
- Creation and generation of gift certificate codes
- Changes to order item state for any order.
- Archiving and deletion of orders.
- E-mail status to shoppers.
- Changes to a customer record.
|The username of the user who created or caused the audit log.
|The actions that was done to cause the audit log such as edit file, import file, customer registration etc.
The details of the audit log.
|The date the audit log was created.
|The search must contain this search data.
The results might contain this search data or not.
|The results can not contain this data.
|The search does not need this search data but cant search search for this search data.
|The date of the audit log must equal to the date set.
|The date can equal or must be less than the date set.
|The date can equal or must be greater than the date set.
|The dates must be must be greater than the date set.
|The dates must be less than the date set.
Auditing Price Changes, Additions and Deletions #
This functionality audits any changes made to the price of an item as well as new price additions and deletions.
- Click Catalog.
- Click Prices.
- Click Add to add a new price entry.
- Specify the item code for the item that contains the price.
- Click Ok to save the changes. The new price entry will be visible for the item on the Prices page.
- Click on Edit link next to the entry created and modify the price to a different value.
- Click Update and Ok to save changes. Go back to the prices page, check the price entry created.
- Click delete to delete the price entry.
- Go to system admin control panel and click View Audit Logs for the store being worked on.
- Audit table will show log entries for add, update and delete prices with required details.
Auditing Creation and Generation of Gift Certificate Codes #
Audit logs feature now supports logging creation and generation of gift certificate codes
- Click Marketing.
- Click Gift Certificates.
- Click Add button to create a gift certificate.
- Click Ok to save changes. The gift certificate will be available on the Manage Gift Certificates page.
- Check the gift certificate created and then click delete button to delete it.
- Go back to the audit logs page and verify the logs. Separate logs for creation and deletion of the gift certificate will be seen.
Auditing Changes to Order Item Status #
Another new functionality with audit logs is that we can log any changes made to order item status.
To test this functionality, first create a customer account on the demo store and place an order. After completing this task, follow the steps below:
The order just placed will be under Orders. Click Manage Orders. As the order has just now been placed, the order status will likely read In Progress.
- To change the status, click on the edit link which will redirect to the View Order Details page. Here, click the Action drop down menu and select ‘Cancelled’.
- Click Update and Ok to save changes.
- Go back to the Manage orders page, notice that the status has now changed to ‘Complete’.
- Go back to the Audit Logs page and check for a log that says ‘Change order state’.
Archiving and Deletion of Orders #
On the Manage Orders page, there is an option to archive orders and view them on the Order History page. The audit log functionality now supports logging of the archive process as well as deletion of orders from Order History.
- Place a test order on the demo store and come back to the Manage Orders page.
- Check the order just placed and click the Archive button.
- Click the View Order History button. The order just archived will be here.
- Check the order and click on Permanent Delete. This will delete the order.
- Go back to the Audit Logs page and check the logs. Find separate logs for archiving and deletion of the order.
Auditing Email Status to Customers #
Once an order has been placed, a store admin or customer service representative has the option to send an email to the customer regarding order status. The new audit logging has included a functionality to log this action.
To test this, do the following:
- Login to the demo store with a test account and place a test order.
- On the Manage Orders Page, click View or the order ID link for the to order just placed.
- On the View Order Details page, click the Email Status button. This sends out the order status via email to the customer.
- To verify that the action has been logged, go back to the Audit Log page and view the logs. There should be an entry that says ‘Email Status To Shopper.’
Auditing Changes to Customer Records #
The audit logs feature now tracks any changes made on a customer record. This is crucial as the system keeps track of all changes that have been made and any unwanted changes can be reverted back.
- Click People.
- Click Customers.
- Choose a customer and click on Edit icon.
- Change the email address for this account on the Edit Customer page.
- Click save.
- Go to the Audit Log page to check for the audit log. You will find a log entry that reads ‘Update Customer’.