This document provides the administrator step-by-step on how to change the default language of a store and add or remove additional languages. By adding a new language, extra fields for the new language will be displayed on some admin pages such as the edit item admin page. Fields such as Item Title and Item Description will appear for the new language.
- Click Settings.
- Click Languages.
- Default Language: Is the language the website will be displayed when first loaded.
- Additional Languages: Are other languages that are part of the website. Normally there is a link to switch languages on the store front.
Adding Additional Languages #
- Click Add Language button. Once clicked, a drop down will appear beside the button.
- Click on the Choose a language drop down.
- Select the language to be added to the store.
Change Default Language #
- Click on the drop down beside the Default Language.
- Select the language to be made default and the page will update. Once a new default language is selected, the page will take some time to perform the request.
- Wait for few minutes, then click Refresh button to see if the new default language has finished loading.
- Once it is completed, the old default language will be added to Additional Languages and the new selected Default Language will appear in the drop down.
Activate Google Translate #
- Click on the Click to Start link to activate google translate for additional languages.
- Once clicked, the language will then say, “Google is Running”.
- Click the Click to Stop link to stop google translate.
- Click on the Delete link to remove a language.
Note: The Google translate won’t activate unless user location is in the specific location for that language, i.e Arabic will only be translating when the user is in Egypt, Bahrain, Kuwait, Oman, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, UAE, etc or told otherwise in the browser settings.