Some products like softwares, mp3 files etc are non-shippable. Customers will be able to download immediately after purchase.
For such items, the taxes are calculated based on the billing address rather than the shipping address. The downloadable item feature lets you specify content that will be downloadable when an item associated with that content is purchased. The content can be any type of file and this file can be located on the application server or in an Amazon S3 bucket.
Amazon S3 Configuration #
- Sign up for AWS services at http://aws.amazon.com
- Click Advanced on store dashboard.
- Click Site Admin Preferences to configure access to your Amazon S3 account.
- Make sure you check the box that says ‘Use Amazon S3’.
|AWS Access Key||Key to access S3.|
|AWS Secret Key||Secret key for accessing S3.|
|Global Download Limit||You can set a limit to the number of times the customer can download the content after which the URL would expire. If the URL has expired, then the CSR (Customer Service Representative) can generate the URL for him again so he can try to download again. This global setting defines how many times the customer can re-download an item.|
|Global Access Minutes||Specifies the number of minutes a customer has to keep the download running after which the link would expire.|
Local File Configuration #
- Modify the Simplemerce.properties File to configure the directory for the download file.
- #define the directory for the download file of item.
- If you haven’t defined it, the system will use the ‘storepath’ that is defined in the Simplemerce.properties as the directory of the download file.
Associate an Item with Downloadable Content #
- Click Catalog.
- Click Products.
- Click Edit link next to the item you want to edit.
- Go to the Settings section and select item type = Downloadable product from the drop-down menu.
- Upload the file for the item. Please refer the next section Uploading Downloadable Content for an Item.
Uploading Downloadable Content for an Item #
- Click Catalog.
- Click Downloadable files to associate files with downloadable content. The ‘Manage Downloadable Content’ window opens up. Here you can search for items with downloadable content, add and edit downloadable contents for items.
- Click the Add button to add a new downloadable content to an item.
- Enter the details. (Refer table 2)
- Click Choose File button to upload the file
- Click Ok button.
|Item code||Item code of the item for which the download file is being added.|
|Download limit||Specifies the number of times the customer can keep re-downloading the item from the download link after the access time has expired.|
Once the specified access time has expired, the download link value gets reduced by 1 and the access time is reset. The customer will have the download link active until this download limit reaches 0 after which the link would expire.
|Access minutes||Sets the amount of time the customer has to successfully do this download.|
Suppose you set the download limit as 3 and access minute as 1. You will have one minute to download the file as many number of times after which the download limit gets reduced by 1 and the access time is reset. Within the next 1 minute, the download limit gets reduced by 1 again. Once the limit reaches 0, the link expires.
|Directory||Set the directory for the download file.|
|File name||File name of the file being uploaded.|
CSR Download Limit Controls #
If a customer is unable to access a download file then the CSR (Customer Service Representative) can find the customer order can control download limits.
- Click Orders.
- Click Manage Orders.
- Click Edit link.
- Increase the download limit.
- Click Add time to increase the time for this download. By default, the amount of time the customer has to successfully do this download is from the Global Access Minutes setting or the specific setting for this item if set.
Downloading Files #
There are three ways to download a file associated with the downloadable item
- Order confirmation page: The order confirmation page would have a download link as shown below if the item purchased is a downloadable item.
- My account: Under View orders, select the correct order ID and the proceeding page would have the order details along with the download link.
- Confirmation email: Any orders made on the store will be followed up by an order confirmation e-mail sent to the email ID on records for the customer. If the order includes a downloadable item, a separate download link will be available on the confirmation e-mail.